6.10.08

Farewell to a Friend

I saved her and her brother from certain death. Two kittens, black and white running across the road at night. I made Alan stop and get them. Alan ended up running the brother over in the driveway a few months later but Camille survived. In fact, she defied the odds...outliving the life expectancy of an outdoor cat which is approximately 5 years. A scrapper, a mouser, a green-eyed hunter...She survived Mountain Park, Scott Drive, the birth of three kittens, the Disappearance of Eric, and several relocations. She was with us 15 years. She was a sweet cat and despite her six toes, Alan thought she was beautiful. We had to put her down tonight...the big C. Camille is survived by her daughter, Sugar, the blue-eyed, cross-eyed semi-Siamese.

4 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

Unbelievable the things she survived and actually you saved her twice... once, in the middle of the road and again, after the disappearance of Eric.
I remember when I lived on Scott Drive and had Harley, GBHS, who would put her nose to the window... just trying to get a whiff of Camille, who would just sit perched up there.
Lol, that was much more house than it ever was mine or Harley's!
Hahaha....she could have cared less about Harley and Harley knew it & soon, just accepted her as a feature there.
xoxoxox

Dee said...

skinnylittlesister,
hey, i like your new name...makes me think of SRV's 'Look at Little Sister!" That suits you. Thanks for reading my blog and for the sweet comment. Also, for a memory of tha 'hood :). I love that you, Harley, and Camille shared some unspoken good will, peace, love, and acceptance. Harley was a cool dog, I remember her well.

Unknown said...

What a touching memorial for a beloved friend. I remember having to do the same thing several years ago. She had been with us for 13 years and it wasn't easy. While I was reading this post (especially the last few sentences), I'm reminded of this song. I'm not sure if you're into this kind of music or not. My apologies ahead of time if you aren't.

Memories of the future

Dee said...

Ric,
Thanks for the comment. It's def. not easy to let go of things we love, that's for sure. Especially a loyal friend.

I really enjoyed the music; it was really beautiful. It was the first thing I listened to this morning and it has set the tone of the day.